Google
 
Web My Journey

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Ten overheads

Well, I got to the studio, and I was asked to lead the class. So after the students bowed in we had them mediate, and I read a story from a children's book. While that was going on the helpers were setting an obstacle course. It took longer than I had expected but I had the kids run around, and called out strikes. Then took the kids too the other side, and timed the kids doing the obstacle course. Then had the kids go through as a team with some minor adjustment.

Then we got out some shields and started working strikes and kicks. The helpers held the bags for the kids. Alot of the curriculum is kicks and strikes so that is one reason I like working that so much.

Next we broke into groups. I went and got some stuff, and helped a group teach 18 combination. It's not that they were teaching it wrong, it's that it wasn't broken down enough for the kid to understand it.

For a game we got the kids to see how many handbags the kids to hit through some rings. The assistants would hold the rings and handbags up. Then the kids would try and hit it through the rings. I think the kids enjoyed it as well.

For the blue through green-brown we got them running, then we did the thought of the week. We worked some forms and combinations. Zach called them out, and I kind of reinforced where necessary. I also worked with a some of the students who didn't have some of the higher forms.
Then I worked with the green and green-brown belts. Had them do kempo's in a gauntlet. They weren't moving fast enough so I got out the stop watch and timed them. Well things sped up. Then we moved on to combinations.

For a game we played snowballs. It was two teams of the students against each other. Then brown belts versus the students in the class. Put down pins that the students could knock down to win. Well, someone kept knocking it over on our side.

To go to blackbelt in the system one needs to have ten overhead club self-defense techniques. So we reviewed that by each person doing a overhead. Then we did a gaunlet.

After that I worked with people on some forms. I worked with a green belt and had him do turn to the side while he was doing his form. Then I had him wear elastic bands while doing his forms. Finally I had him wear some foam feet. I didn't want him to feel he was missing out of things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home